Tuesday, January 22, 2008

maiden voyage

With the general education I've acquired, I seem to recall that the first sentence of any story should set the overall tone and grab the reader's attention. The problem I have in this case is that I plan to spew out whatever comes to mind around the few moments that I'll actually have to sit down and write.

Mansphere, hence the name, will encompass all things man. Today, I'd simply like to touch on why I'm here in the first place. Long story short...it's winter and I am employed by a large property management company (fancy name for lawn and land care). My wife has been writing for a couple of different venues for quite some time, vintageindie and wickedly chic, and it's hard for me to enjoy all of the womanly wiles.


So, to summarize, I need to talk about manly crap! I'll start with some tools. Recently I redid (I say redid instead of refinished because the latter seems too polished for what I actually accomplished) an old chest that my wife paid $10.00 for at an estate sale. I found myself substituting whatever tools I had for what I actually needed. As I was using a quarter sheet palm sander to "plane" down the lid (about 17"x38") I realized that there had to be other guys trying to do the same types of things. You know, wrench for a hammer, screwdriver for a nail punch. Oh, by the way, this is all in the laundry room because we don't have the garage built yet, and it's 15 degrees outside. This leads me to what could be a great idea if it's not already done yet. Just about everyone knows about websites like eBay and freecycle.org, but what if there were a swap/barter site for tools and other objects of manly desire. I mean, please, there is already etsy for only handmade crafts and vintage items, why can't we have somewhere to buy, sell and trade manly junk without having to filter through all the other crap out there, something we can call our own.


Well, that's it for now, maybe this isn't earth shattering, but surely there are guys out there that have similar feelings or ideas. If you do and you 'd like to share, leave a comment here, or email me.


Future entries will be all man stuff. Hopefully women like some of it too. I hope to discuss everything from sports to beer and everything in between. Since I am man, I am of course an expert on all subjects like all other men who know everything. Just ask my wife and all other wives and girlfriens alike. Until next time, make sure you find your mansphere.

2 comments:

beth said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!

Amusing you called your first post in your man-blog "maiden voyage" :-)

Good luck!

Pixie said...

Good to know there's a man to ask when we need to know! LOL. Seriously, keep writing.